Sunday, February 24, 2008

Open That Bottle Night '08!

A seemingly innocuous article I read in the weekend edition of the Wall Street Journal several months ago metamorphosed into perhaps one of the greatest evenings of my memory. I wouldn't call myself a wine buff or wine snob by any means, but I would proclaim myself interested in drinking good vino. So, after making it through the WSJ article about "Open That Bottle Night," I knew I had found the reason for our next neighborhood food night.

If you collect wine, then you may have a bottle of wine that has become exalted. It is no longer fit for opening during the week. It is no longer fit for opening during a weekend dinner with friends before heading out on the town. It's purpose is to be consumed on the most special of occasions.

Long story short, "Open That Bottle Night" (OTBN) is a nationwide event held on the last Saturday in February (we went with Sunday to accommodate schedules). This is the special occasion. However you chose to celebrate, OTBN is the night you pop out that cork of that bottle you've been saving for years. Create an occasion. Create new memories. And so we did. Guests this evening - John, Kirstin, Kara, Jarad, Mark, and myself. Everyone contributed to the meal in someway (with Kara putting in much appreciated extra effort!)

On the menu -

Main Course:
French Salad (light and tasty)
Lamb Chops (marinated in olive oil, rosemary, s&p. Seared then baked)
Root Vegetable Medley (Turnips, Parsnips, Fingerling Potatoes, Carrots, Onion)
Bruschetta (with feta, kalamata olives, tomatoes, and capers)






Dessert:
French Caramel Brulee















And the wines:

1998 Chateau Haut-Marbuzet. The reason for the dinner. The darling of the evening.

1996 Barbera D' Alba "Boassa." A very pleasant surprise gifted by Mark accompanied by one of the best stories of the evening.

2006 Cotes du Rhone "Reserve Perrin." The backup wine of the evening in case the others faulted. They didn't, but this one was a great finish to the evening.

So, it all sounds dorky, perhaps a bit pretentious. However, it was the efforts of all involved to bring together a spectacular dinner with good friends that made this night worth more than untold riches. Does life get any better?

Enjoy my visual recap...

















2 comments:

Megan said...

I would so not fit into this group. Why? I would not belong in that long line of people cooking, b/c I can't cook. However, I probably could've made the salad...if it came out of a bag. ;o)

Carolyn said...

don't forget schmeggo! you can brown ground beef too! ground beef and salad dinner party YEAH!

back to the blog, i genuinely wish i was there. anything + a bottle of good wine makes me feel far too happy. :) here's to the next OTBNBTNOT!