Sunday, March 2, 2008

Healthy Fast Food?

So, I added some AdSense links to my blog. If you click on them, I will get money (apparently). This has not yet happened, so you must not be clicking...

Google picks these ads for me based on what is contained in my blogs. I write about eating healthy, exercise, finance, personal development, random things, etc... At any rate, I looked to see what kind of ads Google was matching to my page. Imagine my surprise when I saw this:

Healthy Fast Food
Try Wendy's New Premium Fish Fillet made w/ North Pacific Cod.
www.wendys.com

Now, I'm not sure what to make of that. First of all, gag. Second of all, is it really healthy? I decided to go to Wendy's Nutritional Facts and check it out. Wendy's happens to have a high quality site for nutrition. It doesn't let you just look at the facts in a big chart - that is not user-friendly - but rather allows you to "build" a typical meal you might eat and then see the overall nutrition you're getting (or not getting). If you eat at Wendy's ever, I recommend you check out this site. Does anyone ever visit other Fast Food websites to look at this stuff? I'd be interested to see some others. I've visited Sonic's (love their breakfast burritos) and Chipotle's (Oh wait, no nutritional facts...) and neither is very user-friendly.

Now, back to the Cod sandwich. 450 calories, 200 from fat. 22 grams of fat. 47 carbs. 1020 mg sodium. 16 g protein.
Is that healthy fast food or relatively healthy fast food? Compared to my favorite - the Spicy Chicken Sandwich - the cod sandwich almost qualifies as health food. Nearly half the calories and a third less fat than my sandwich. But alas! The Chicken Sandwich has 55 grams of protein. Take that Cod.

All this is a moot point since I eat fast "chain" food like once a month these days, but I found it very interesting. I think I'll use sites like this to build my "best option" if I do go to these places. Let's face it - fast food is cheap, convenient, and sometimes tastes like normal food. When you're drunk or hung over, it seems better than shoving $500 bills into your mouth.

Here's to drinking a ton of booze and then deciding to make healthy choices!

3 comments:

Nicholas|R said...

This looks like a great investment/bang for the non-proverbial buck - I'd thoroughly enjoy walking into a poker room and dropping a McKinley on the table.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1934-A-500-FIVE-HUNDRED-DOLLAR-BILL-NOTE-FRN-CURRENCY_W0QQitemZ110229549113QQihZ001QQcategoryZ40029QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Carolyn said...

When in the history of ever has someone made a good food decision, nay, a good decision, whilst intoxicated? :)

Good luck with that. I'll stick to my hangover cure of a juicy cheeseburger (but with a Diet Coke, of COURSE!). :)

Megan said...

Yeah, that cod fish sandwich also looked breaded when I saw it on the commercial. Eck. I love that they're calling that healthy, when you can go get a hamburger(even a cheeseburger!) at McDonald's for fewer calories and fat than the fish sandwich. Dirty trick.

I haven't eaten fast food in quite a few months, mainly b/c of the Fast Food Nation movie(and book), trying to get in shape, and also b/c I looked at the nutritional info at these places. You should check out Panera's menu. Some of their sandwiches are nearly 1,000 calories! It definitely makes you think twice about whether it's worth it or not.