Sunday, June 8, 2008

Share the Grooves!

So, this topic is a remnant from something I used to blog about on MySpace. Here's how it goes:

1) I scour my sources for tunes I like that you may not have heard.
2) You check them out and either like them or dislike them.
3) You share your opinion on my comment page.
4) You add a couple new, interesting songs that are occupying your recent playlists.
5) We both enjoy new music!

Here's what's playing on my iTunes...

Brett Dennen - "The One You Love the Most"
I've shared some Brett before, and this is more of the same. His voice is very unique, his hooks are catchy, and his music is upbeat and optimistic. The perfect start to summer.

Landon Pigg - "Falling Love in a Coffee Shop"
This is the first time I've heard Landon, and his haunting opening to this song hooked me instantly. The subtleness and simplicity of the rest of the song, coupled with how the music unfolds is comforting. I want to be singing this song...

Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - "Apologies"
Where has Grace been all of my life? Finding this little nugget of beauty felt like the first time I discovered a Regina Spektor song. It spoke to me. She is vulnerable. We are vulnerable. I am vulnerable. Maybe she will speak to you?

Sam Cooke - "A Change is Gonna Come"
Okay, so this isn't a new song. It's old. The singer has come and gone. The style is reminiscent of days past. Despite all those things, Sam Cooke's haunting, soulful, aching song feels more prescient than ever. Does it relate to observations about our current political happenings? Does it relate to coming out of winter, into spring, and enjoying summer? Does it portend me "turning a corner" in life? I don't know, but Sam speaks directly to us still, and it couldn't be more meaningful.

John Mayer - "Gravity"
This song isn't quite so new either, but makes the list as being new on my radar and for it's serendipitous timing. After having a bad day, a piss-pour workout, I drive home, pop on my favorite XM channel and John Mayer encompasses my mood in one line "Gravity...is working against me, and gravity, wants to bring me down."

Take a second and check these out if you like, but I'm really interested to hear what's gracing your playlists lately - summer is nearly upon us and there should be some good new tunes out there for us all to find!

6 comments:

Megan said...

Sam Cooke has not come and gone. She just released a new album last week. Ta da! I do enjoy her.

I've been listening The Cure practically non-stop since concert. I like their new single "The Only One", which is a love song with a hint of dirty. They'll have a new single released on the 13th of every month until the album release in Sept. Yay!

Nicholas|R said...

I know of a brand new song - just came out today, actually. It's called "Twice as fast, half the price".

It has a powerful opening lyric:

"Hey Nick Kenny, buy an iPhone"

Look for it playing on XM.

Megan said...

Aaand, I was thinking of Sam Phillips. MEH! Haha.

Carolyn said...

whoa something crazy is going on with your blog pic yo.

check out the M.I.A. song "Paper Planes". sound effects are quite fun (gunshots and cash registers. yes!) :) i think i'm going to get the whole album.

Carolyn said...

this blog is officially old and busted

Carolyn said...

FAIL