Monday, April 28, 2008

Monday Musings

I like to start the week dishing out (what I find to be) some useful information. Maybe you'll find it useful too!

The blog PickTheBrain talks about How To Prepare Healthy Meals Faster Than You Can Order Takeout. Keys include creating a routine, making simpler meals, cooking several things at once, and eating the same things more often. This works for me during the week because I'm single, like to work out until about 6:30, don't have extraneous time to cook extravagently, and also don't mind eating leftovers. I like to save more elaborate meals for the weekend and recruit friends to help with the menu. Instant get-together!

If you're into meditation, you'll find a good primer at GoodLife Zen. They share Ten Important Tips To Start Meditating. Whether you believe in this stuff or think it is all a bunch of mumbo-jumbo, it will help you focus more on the present, which I think is a good thing.

Finally, the folks over at the Freakonomics blog pose a simple question - What's The Smartest Way To Spend Your Rebate? Being in the savings/finance/investing field, my natural inclination is to say put it in savings or pay down debt! However, last time I checked I was in the human/fun/spending crowd as well - tough choices! But, if you're gonna blow it on something big, watch that you don't use that $600 as an excuse to spend an extra $600 you don't have. If it wasn't in your budget before you had the $600, chances are it still isn't in your budget! As for me, I think I will use most of it to pay down debt and the rest as going-out money in Miami for my budgeted vacation to see my best friend from college. I can already taste the ice cold adult beverages on South Beach...

Your turn to share - How will you be spending your rebate?

1 comment:

Megan said...

I'm highly considering a new camera lens. Yippee! I don't know though, maybe something else. I'll most likely try to save half of it, which I know isn't the point of the check, but whatever.