Monday, January 21, 2008

Dear Loyal and Intelligent readers...

I'm having a difficult going to bed on time. I just looked at the clock, and my assertion is confirmed - it is 1:29 AM. Why am I awake right now? There is nothing good on TV, I'm not doing anything, and there certainly isn't a supermodel in my bed keeping me from slumbering. I kicked her out hours ago...

Anyone have any tips or tricks that don't involve sedatives? I need to be cognizant when I wake up. I don't think I have insomnia - I think I have "too lazy to go to bed" syndrome. For those of you who have the ability to use a scroll bar, you'll see from a previous post establishing a morning routine is one of my goals in 2008. Going to bed on time, as you might imagine, is the one single thing that would really help me move this goal along. I'm open to suggestions!

4 comments:

Megan said...

Uh, get your ass in bed before midnight, and stay there. Even if it's just to read or something, at least you're resting your body. Or there's always that whole warm milk bullshit. I think it sounds horrifically gag-worthy, but who knows, maybe you like warm milk. What else...I can't think of anything. I love to go to bed and be in my bed, so it's not a problem. Maybe you and your bed should seek counseling, and develop a better relationship.

Wendy said...

Getting your body on a schedule and sticking to it is hard. Since you are exercising one would think your body would welcome some restful slumber. I'd go with that Megan said. Try going to bed at the same time daily (yes, that includes the weekend) and start reading in bed. At least if you are wide awake you will accomplish more than if you are up watching reruns of Seinfeld.

Jessica said...

These girls are right, it's all about establishing a routine. You might even start with turning off the TV at a certain time (say 10:30pm after the news) to begin to get ready for bed. Then get in bed by whatever time you decide and read or whatever until you're ready to go to sleep. If you force yourself to get up when your alarm goes off you'll probably be more tired at night which will make it easier to go to sleep-which will make it easier to get up!

Jessica said...

by the way...I'm "info". I just registered a profile so hopefully I won't show up anonymous anymore! Jessica